The answer, fortunately, is Yes. While there are crimes in Cancun, the majority of tourists never faced any problems.
In fact, by following a few simple safety tips you can make yourself less of a target for criminals. So if you’re thinking of visiting Cancun and are wondering if it’s safe, rest assured that it is. Just use common sense while you’re there and enjoy all that this beautiful city has to offer!
Is It Safe To Visit Cancun Right Now?
Every year, millions of tourists flock to Cancun, Mexico to enjoy the sunny beaches and vibrant nightlife. However, in recent years, the city has been plagued by violence and crime. As a result, many travelers are wondering if it is still safe to visit Cancun.
The reality is that Cancun is not more dangerous than any other major tourist destination. Violent crime is relatively rare, and most visitors will never even experience any problems.
However, it is always important to take precautions when traveling to an unfamiliar place. Be sure to stay in well-lit and populated areas, avoid carrying large amounts of cash, and keep your belongings safe. If you take these simple steps, you can enjoy a safe and fun vacation in Cancun.
10 Safety Tips For Traveling To Cancun
Cancun is a beautiful, sandy paradise that’s beloved by tourists from all over the world. But as Cancun is located in a developing country it’s important to remember that there are certain safety risks that one should be aware of. Here are 10 safety tips to keep in mind when traveling to Cancun:
- Avoid walking around alone at night. If you really want to then go with a group and make sure to stay in a well-lit crowded area.
- Don’t accept rides from strangers. Make sure to arrange your travel from the airport before your arrival only because people start bombarding you as soon as you come out of the airport.
- Keep your belongings close to you at all times and don’t flaunt your valuables in public as there are a lot of pick-pocketers, especially in Downtown Cancun where tourists are fewer.
- Be aware of your surroundings and trust your gut if something doesn’t feel right. Be nice and friendly to people but don’t be naïve. If you feel that people are asking personal questions or trying to be extra friendly, just walk away.
- Stick to well-lit and well-traveled areas. Wander around but not aimlessly. Make sure you are aware of where you are and where you want to go.
- Buy a local SIM card as it gives you access to Google Maps, making your travel easy and much more convenient. It also helps you to remain in touch with your friends and family. Buying a local SIM offers you more security and makes you feel like a local.
- Only use ATMs during the daytime and only at banks or other reputable businesses. Don’t use roadside ATMs and especially avoid using them at night. Make sure to carry small amounts of cash with you and use safety boxes offered by hotels to keep the extra cash.
- Keep copies of your passport and other important documents in a safe place, separate from the originals. Also, make sure to carry one with you as police can ask for it anytime. Keep watch on the police officers who try to find you, especially for something which doesn’t look like a crime.
- Avoid swimming in isolated areas or off the beaten path, where there are no lifeguards on duty. Choose only reputable companies for water sports such as parasailing or jet skiing and be skeptical of any company offering the same sports for a significantly low amount.
- Don’t engage in any risky behavior, such as drugs or excessive alcohol consumption. If you really want to have drinks then have them in moderation. And don’t dare take Recreational drugs as they are illegal in Mexico, if you are found guilty, you shall be punishable by up to 25 years in prison.
What Are The Safest Places To Visit In Cancun?
When it comes to safety, Cancun is a mixed bag. On the one hand where the city is teeming with tourists and relatively low crime rate. Certain areas are prone to hurricanes and tropical storms.
Apart from this the city’s beaches are also not always well-maintained and can be dangerous for swimming. Thus it becomes necessary for visitors to know a few areas that are safer than others.
The Hotel Zone
The Hotel Zone is one of the safest areas in Cancun, as it is well-patrolled by security guards and has several CCTV cameras. In addition, the beaches in the Hotel Zone are some of the safest in Cancun, as they are regularly cleaned and have lifeguards on duty.
Playa Del Carmen
Playa del Carmen is another safe option for visitors, as it is a quieter town with a more laid-back atmosphere. There are also several police officers patrolling the streets and beaches of Playa del Carmen.
Mexico Travel Planning Guide
Do I Need Travel Insurance To Travel To Mexico?
Mexico is a popular travel destination for many reasons: its beaches, historical sites, and vibrant culture are just a few of the draws. But before you start packing your bags, it’s important to consider Mexico travel insurance.
While Mexico is generally a safe country to visit, there are still some risks involved in travel, such as theft, illness, and accidents. Travel insurance can help you to protect yourself from these risks by providing financial assistance in case you need to cancel your trip or you incur unexpected medical expenses while abroad.
Mexico travel insurance is not required by law, but it is strongly recommended by the Mexico Tourism Board. When deciding whether or not to purchase travel insurance, be sure to consider the type of coverage that best suits your needs.
Then, when you’re ready to enjoy your trip, you can do so with the peace of mind that comes from knowing you’re covered.
Can I Drink Tap Water In Mexico?
Mexico is a vast country with a varied landscape, and as such, the quality of tap water can vary depending on the location. In general, it’s best to err on the side of caution and drink bottled water, especially if you’re not familiar with the local water supply.
However, Mexico City and a few other areas have high-quality tap water that is safe to drink. If you’re unsure about the quality of the tap water in your area, check with your local Mexico travel planning guide or ask a hotel staff member for advice. With a little research, you can enjoy the convenience of tap water without worry while traveling in Mexico.
Do I Need Any Vaccine To Travel To Mexico?
But before you start packing your bags, it’s important to make sure you have all the necessary vaccinations. Depending on the region you’re planning to visit and your medical history, you may need to get vaccinated against diseases such as hepatitis A, hepatitis B, typhoid fever, or yellow fever.
It’s always a good idea to consult with a travel health specialist before your trip so that you can be sure you’re up-to-date on all the necessary vaccines. With a little planning and preparation, you can ensure that your Mexico vacation is safe and enjoyable.
Do I Need A Visa To Travel To Mexico?
Mexico is a popular travel destination for American tourists, but it’s important to make sure you have the proper documentation before you go.
Depending on your nationality and the purpose of your trip, you may need to obtain a visa to enter Mexico. U.S. citizens, for example, can typically stay in Mexico for up to 180 days without a visa for tourism or business purposes.
If you plan to stay longer than that, or if you’re traveling for another reason such as study or work, then you will need to apply for a visa through the Mexican consulate nearest you.
The Mexico Travel Planning Guide provides detailed information on the requirements and application process for all types of visas. Be sure to check it before you start planning your trip so that you can be sure to have all the necessary documents in order.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Is Cancun Safe Right Now To Travel Alone?
According to the U.S. Department of State, Cancun is currently safe to travel to. There is no travel advisory in effect, and crime rates are low. However, it is always important to exercise caution when traveling solo.
2. Is It Safe To Visit Outside The Hotels In Cancun?
While many tourists choose to stay within the confines of their hotel, venturing out occasionally for meals or shopping trips. While there is no doubt that hotels offer a certain level of safety and security, there are also many benefits to exploring Cancun beyond the resorts. For one thing, it’s a great way to experience the city’s rich culture and history.
3. Is Cancun Safe For Female Travelers?
Cancun is generally considered to be a safe destination for female travelers, as crime rates are relatively low and there are plenty of activities and attractions to keep you occupied.
4. Is There Uber In Cancun?
There is no Uber in Cancun. There is, however, a similar service called “Easy Taxi.” Easy Taxi is available in Cancun and across Mexico. The app works in much the same way as Uber, allowing users to request a taxi and track its progress.
Payment is also made through the app, making it a convenient option for visitors to Cancun. While Easy Taxi may not be as well-known as Uber, it is a reliable and affordable option for getting around Cancun.